So….you woke up this morning cursing the cold and wind, right? It was a very King Lear moment for most of us as we woke to the world, despite the additional dose of light coming in earlier all the time.
Take heart though. Spring is on it’s way, and before long you’ll find yourself getting a healthy dose of vitamin D outside while you get in your daily activity level. While it’s still chilly, head over to the 14th Street Y and try some of our favorite classes! In no particular order:
1. 7:00PM Monday night: PUNK ROPE. The Y is happy to host Tim Haft’s PUNK ROPE in our Basketball gymnasium every week, bringing in the vibe, people and music of the East Village. The class is a combination of everything that was fun about recess, and everything that is challenging about a solid, sweaty boot camp class.
2. 6:15PM Tuesday night: NIA. Love to dance? NIA is a combination of the grace and power of dance, martial arts and overall body conditioning. Plus, our instructor is Yvonne Pucket, a former Hollywood dancer. Real Hollywood. Like, California. With Elvis!
3. 6:20PM Wednesday night: ZUMBA. There’s a reason Zumba is so popular. In our version, the energetic and popular Adja Diarra leads you through Latin rhythms, easy to follow and fun moves, plus some resistance training to help you tone, sculpt and burn.
4. 6:30PM Thursday night: TABATA. This is that thing where you alternate periods of short, intense aerobic exercise with less intense recovery periods, for the entire hour. Taught by the amazing Jennifer Hamlin, You’ll sweat like it’s summer.
5. 11:30AM Friday Morning: Power Sculpt and Ab Blast: 45 minutes of intense power sculpting that works your endurance and strength, followed by a 15 minute classic abs workout. Taught by Elizabeth Schneider, who’s style makes you feel really good about the fact that you can barely lift your arms to put away your mat.
Try these and so many more fitness classes at the Y by becoming a member! Click here to find out how.
–Camille Diamond is the Director of Community Engagement and Communications at the 14th Street Y. Her arms still hurt from last Friday.